- XKs Forum -

Girling Shocks color on XK150

Wyn Laidig

forum user since 2006-06-02

I have read other posts indicating the original color of the Girling shocks was a industrial gray, however I have a pair of what seem to be original Girling shocks that were originally a military green (similar to british racing green. I suppose someone could have cleaned off all the original paint and painted it green leaving no trace of any original gray, but that is doubtful, and it would have had to be done in prior to the mid 70's since I know the history since then.

Has anyone seen Girling shocks from this period (~1958) that are a military green?

It is really hard to imagine that these were supposed to be machine gray in light of the evidence I have in front of me.

Thanks for your advice!
Wyn Laidig

George Camp
Jaguar Society of South Carolina *

forum user since 2002-11-24

Wyn what is the number on those shocks---Girling made a lot of shocks with different ratings and often the color was the rating--so the first question is are those the correct shocks?

JCRC SE
JCNA VP

Wyn Laidig

Stamped on the shocks are:
GIRLING
CDR5 / 120 N AGM
PATENTED

Thanks for your advice!
Wyn Laidig

George Camp
Jaguar Society of South Carolina *

forum user since 2002-11-24

Wyn the parts catalog lists early and late for the 150--what is your vin. Early front is CDR.5/20NF and later is 640-540-94. Rears are CDR.7/10NF and 640-542-55. IT seems that the shocks you have are a different rating. While the number is close (assuming you read the slash as a 1) but they are not the called for shock. Directly to your question regardless of rating I have only seen Grey/Blue Girling shocks. I tried to research the Girling catalogs but by 1972 the listing for both numbers was dropped. Remember Girling mads shocks for a lot of things not just Jaguars. It is very possible these were substituted prior to your ownership. I wish I had a codex for you on these but do not.

JCRC SE
JCNA VP

Michael Mueller
Jaguar Club of Austin *

forum user since 2003-11-24

Wyn I have the exact same shock unused and it is painted black but I am not sure it goes to a 150 Mike Mueller

Wanted set of three weber dcos sandcast carbs ( original on D type motors)

Otto Mueller
Jaguar Club of Southern New England *

forum user since 2005-09-18

Wyn,
Here's a photo of that shock on a 150, (1960 I think), from a restorer who brought his 150 to original as possible & went to great lengths to do so. I also had the CDR.5/20NF fronts on my 1957 built 150 but they were pretty much too rusted to get any color indication so I also went for the blue/grey type shown.

Regards, Otto

-58 XK-150fhc, S-834292DN

Wyn Laidig

My Chassis Number is S831371BW. Build date is Sept 1958.
Here is a photo showing the stamp on the shocks.
It is clearly a CDR5 / 120 NF AGM.
The F is barely visible, and I missed it at first. But I think it clearly a 120 and not just a 20.

Thanks for your advice!
Wyn Laidig

Click here to return to top of club home page