Jaguar Clubs of North AmericaJCNA Home
- XKs Forum -

150S Air Cleaner Box

Andrew S Dowd
Smoky Mountain Jaguar Club *

forum user since 2012-05-22

I am restoring a 150S and see the possibility of air "starvation" using the original box (air filter housing). That row of small grill opening on the top of the box would seem to provide way too little air flow to the three carbs. Or is there some sort of ram effect in play. Thanks

55 XK 140 MC
59 XK 150S (3.4)
60 MK 2 (3.8, M/OD)

150S Air Cleaner Box

George Camp
Jaguar Society of South Carolina *

forum user since 2002-11-24

Andrew I have never had an air feed issue with either version of the 150S filter system. Jaguar did make a change to the oval system but there is no mention why (covered in bulletin 265 from 1959). The bulletin suggests it was for ease of service. Andrew are you sure the louvers face upward?

JCRC SE
JCNA VP

150S Air Cleaner Box

Greg Arnold

forum user since 2011-06-22

I too have a 150S question about the 3 carb air cleaner box.
I notice attached to the underside of the body is an additional metal plate above where the air cleaners reside. Is that correct? Typically do these air cleaners create much heat at their exhaust ports?
thank you!

greg arnold
58 Xk150S - 66E type 61 Mk IX

XK140mc, 66 E-type, MkIX, XK150S

150S Air Cleaner Box

George Camp
Jaguar Society of South Carolina *

forum user since 2002-11-24

Greg not sure what you mean. The thread is about the air cleaners for the engine intake. As such they make no exhaust they draw so are we talking about something else now?

JCRC SE
JCNA VP

150S Air Cleaner Box

Greg Arnold

forum user since 2011-06-22

My Typo - I meant typically do these ports make much heat at their intake point or at all? wondering why the extra sheet of metal in the body. Maybe it was an addition in a prior restoration?

XK140mc, 66 E-type, MkIX, XK150S

150S Air Cleaner Box

Jim Collins
Jaguar Association of New England *

forum user since 2007-04-01

Good morning. I am finishing the restoration of my July 1958 XK 150S OTS LHD, S830975DN. Advice please, as to the correct color and type of finish for the rectangular air box. From examining pictures, a silver paint seems correct ( could also have the box cadmium plated if correct).

Also, what is the best replacement for the three wire mesh filters? I have seen an oblong paper filter advertised on e-bay. Engine's been completely rebuilt, and I want to take good care of it. Thanks very much.

LEGAL NOTICES

copyright 2002-2008 JAGUAR CLUBS OF NORTH AMERICA, INC.