Jaguar Clubs of North AmericaJCNA Home
- XJ Saloons Forum -

1982 Jaguar XJ6 U-Joint

David Brown
Jaguar Association of Central Ohio *

forum user since 2012-02-29

How many u-joints does Series 3 XJ6 have in driveshaft? When I went to auto parts to price u-joint replacement, I was not sure how many U-Joints? Two/Three? That raised my eyebrows!

1982 Jaguar XJ6 U-Joint

Doug Dwyer
Jaguar Car Club of Victoria *

forum user since 2007-03-28

Three, and a support bearing :-)

If you pull the driveshaft segments apart make sure to carefully and exactly mark their orientation.If you reassemble the driveshaft out-of-phase you'll be hatin' life

Cheers
DD

Doug Dwyer
Longview Washington USA
1995 XJR

1982 Jaguar XJ6 U-Joint

Matthew Mariani
Delaware Valley Jaguar Club *

forum user since 2012-03-25

You should replace the support bearing while out and check the associated rubber vibration absorbing washers/grommets that attach the bearing to the support bracket. Good luck and be sure to have Lava soap.. MJM

1972 XJ-6 High Compression 4.2L

1982 Jaguar XJ6 U-Joint

David Brown
Jaguar Association of Central Ohio *

forum user since 2012-02-29

Removed whole driveshaft and removed old worn u-joints. Since this is 1982 model, it only came with two u-joints. I am trying to find proper tool to try to remove the support bearing from driveshaft. I unscrewed the piece. I can't seem to pull it out. It is sure a royal pain lol.

1982 Jaguar XJ6 U-Joint

Dick Maury
North Georgia Jaguar Club *

forum user since 2006-09-17

All of the XJ6 and XJ12 models with the XK motor which ran 1968-1987 had a driveshaft with three u-joints and a center support. As you have the center support, if you look, the other u-joint is probably still connected to the transmission as there was splined connection on the front half of the driveshaft.

Dick Maury, Rebuild Department, Coventry West, JCNA President

LEGAL NOTICES

copyright 2002-2008 JAGUAR CLUBS OF NORTH AMERICA, INC.