- XJ Saloons Forum -

1982 Jaguar XJ6 U-Joint

David Brown
Jaguar Association of Central Ohio *

forum user since 2012-02-29

How many u-joints does Series 3 XJ6 have in driveshaft? When I went to auto parts to price u-joint replacement, I was not sure how many U-Joints? Two/Three? That raised my eyebrows!

1982 Jaguar XJ6 U-Joint

Doug Dwyer
Jaguar Car Club of Victoria *

forum user since 2007-03-28

Three, and a support bearing :-)

If you pull the driveshaft segments apart make sure to carefully and exactly mark their orientation.If you reassemble the driveshaft out-of-phase you'll be hatin' life

Cheers
DD

Doug Dwyer
Longview Washington USA
1995 XJR

1982 Jaguar XJ6 U-Joint

Matthew Mariani
Delaware Valley Jaguar Club *

forum user since 2012-03-25

You should replace the support bearing while out and check the associated rubber vibration absorbing washers/grommets that attach the bearing to the support bracket. Good luck and be sure to have Lava soap.. MJM

1972 XJ-6 High Compression 4.2L

1982 Jaguar XJ6 U-Joint

David Brown
Jaguar Association of Central Ohio *

forum user since 2012-02-29

Removed whole driveshaft and removed old worn u-joints. Since this is 1982 model, it only came with two u-joints. I am trying to find proper tool to try to remove the support bearing from driveshaft. I unscrewed the piece. I can't seem to pull it out. It is sure a royal pain lol.

1982 Jaguar XJ6 U-Joint

Dick Maury
North Georgia Jaguar Club *

forum user since 2006-09-17

All of the XJ6 and XJ12 models with the XK motor which ran 1968-1987 had a driveshaft with three u-joints and a center support. As you have the center support, if you look, the other u-joint is probably still connected to the transmission as there was splined connection on the front half of the driveshaft.

Dick Maury, Rebuild Department, Coventry West, JCNA President