Jaguar Clubs of North AmericaJCNA Home
- Ottawa Jaguar Club Forum -

Water pump XJS V12

Lee Harrington
Ottawa Jaguar Club *

forum user since 2009-01-20

Is there a way to tell if you have a waterpump problem. My XJS is still overheating after changing the 2 themostats and the water temperature sending unit. I am pulling my hair out. I don't know if its the rad or water pump. I did flush the rad but it still runs really hot HELP
Lee

Re.: Water pump XJS V12

Mark Roberts
on Member *

forum user since 2004-09-01

Edited on 2009-01-20 17:06:55

Lee:

It is unlikely to be the water pump if the car is overheating. The usual symptom for a bad water pump is a coolant drip out the water pump shaft and/or a noisy water pump bearing. I have not heard of the impeller ever breaking apart, or corroding away sufficiently to cause the engine to overheat through lack of coolant flow.

The most likely cause is a radiator that has silted up, or leaves blocking the radiator between the oil cooler and radiator. The silt found in the radiator can also be found in the engine itself, which can cause over heating issues if it is bad enough.

Another couple things to check before taking the rad out, are to pressure check the cooling system, AND the two rad caps. This was a problem with our VDP. Rad was good, rad cap was bad, and thus the system never pressurized.

Finally, check the mechanical advance on the distributor. If it is seized, as they tend to on the V12's, then the engine runs with the spark fully retarded, less power, and hot.

Cheers, Mark R.

Re.: Water pump XJS V12

Lee Harrington
Ottawa Jaguar Club *

forum user since 2009-01-20

Thanks Mark
I think I will pull the rad and either recore it or replace it. It's a good winter project. I will also check out the advance as you suggested
Cheers
Lee

LEGAL NOTICES

copyright 2002-2008 JAGUAR CLUBS OF NORTH AMERICA, INC.