- Editor and Webmaster Help Forum -

Everybody: Newsletter mailing to other clubs

Pascal Gademer

forum user since

Over the past few months I've added addresses of other club editors to our database to mail them our newsletter, just like we receive newsletters from various clubs.

However, it is often difficult to keep these addresses up to date and I thought it would be great to have a list on the site, accessible only thru the editor/webmaster page.

any suggestions ?

Also, for clubs who also publish their newsletter in an electronic form on their web site, a JCNA mailing list to simply post a link to the latest newsletter could be an interesting tool. IT would save clubs on printing an extra 40 or 50 newsletters, and the postage. In addition to the editor, any board member interested could subscribe as well.

Of course, we could also ask Tom to set up a page where links to each club current newsletter are listed... with a small jpg of the cover...

I personaly find it interesting to get other's newsletter to see what these clubs are up to but moving this to an electronic media would be great.

Pascal

South Florida Jaguar Club

Re: Everybody: Newsletter mailing to other clubs

Tom

forum user since

> I thought it would be great to have a list on the site,

> accessible only thru the editor/webmaster page.

That would be easy enough to implement. It is an easy add to the forum configuration software to have a link to a listing of newsletter editors page. How to create the page with the current info might be an issue but, I'd have to look into it a bit more. Since all clubs now will have control over their club's data at this site, to extract information from the club data pages should be easy to do... I say "easy" because I haven't tried it yet. The 'gotcha' here is that this would require that clubs keep their data current on this site. Right now, about 10 or so clubs have updated their pages or even requested a username and password. I'm hoping that this is because it is the new year. This is a good idea and I'll add it to the megalist of things I gotta do for this website.

> Also, for clubs who also publish their newsletter in an electronic

> form on their web site, a JCNA mailing list to simply post a link

> to the latest newsletter could be an interesting tool. IT would

> have clubs on printing an extra 40 or 50 newsletters, and the

> postage. In addition to the editor, any board member interested

> could subscribe as well.

Hmmmm, this is good. Trying to figure a way to do it right. My first knee-jerk reaction is maybe a page in the lib that would be the "Clubs on the Web Newsletters - Current Editions." Perhaps also a link from the club's data page. Adding a field in the club editing page to allow this would be easy enough.

My only question is "how many clubs publish a version of the newsletter on the web?" and what interest from the clubs at having this capability on JCNA?

I hope that more join this forum as it is off to a slow start. My real guess is most don't know about it yet. This could be a really good area to discuss issues like this for both editors and webmasters.

Pascal Gademer

forum user since

How many clubs publish on the web ? not sure, it's worth taking a look. Off hand, we do (SFJC) , Las Vegas, San Francisco, South Carolina, South Arizona, Colorado, and others I don't recall. I think many clubs would do it to if they get included on a site that generates traffic, don't forget this is good recruiting tool too, showing an active club.

I think this forum is a great idea, and I also hope others join.. maybe you can send some emails to editors and webmasters to remind them to join...

Pascal

Tom

forum user since

I want to look into this some more. I've thought about it more and trying to think of the best way to implement it and, more importantly, what it will take to get it working.

I wrote Judy Ferring about contacting editors about this forum since she does mass mailings to them at regular intervals... at least she did when I was the editor/slave.

jaguar

forum user since

:How many clubs publish on the web ?

We don't and won't, though we use a pdf newsletter for final reviews prior to sending it to the printer. Why?

Two types of people join any club: web-savvy and web-ignorant. In my experience, the latter is at least as common as the former. This necessitates a print version be sent out, incurring the cost of doing so. Even some web-savvy people want a print newsletter so they've got something to do while in the bathroom. But the latter category will feel less urgency at renewal/join up time since they know they can read the thing any time they durn well please.

Many members stay in the club only FOR the newsletter. This is true for most every club regardless of what make/model we're talking about. Not much more than half our members actually attend an event in any given year. If the newsletter were readily available on the web then one should ask: "Why buy the cow when the milk is free?"

I've looked at going to an "all-e" club business model. We could profitably operate the club at dues around the current JCNA MAL rate if we eliminated a print newsletter. IF we retained most of our members and other club support we could operate at dues of even less. Even then, I'd not publish a newsletter on the web for general consumption. A sample issue, maybe, but there have to be SOME benefits to being a member not available to the general public. I believe that clubs will eventually operate this way, but our members aren't culturally ready for it yet. Personally, I'd GLADLY give up a print newsletter in exchange for a $25 dues cut and a version I could store without taking up shelf space.

-Steve Averill (just realizing that the forum software sticks me with only the option of posting under that username)

Pascal Gademer

forum user since

Steve,

I've thought about that and we've discussed it in our club, but I don't think that people are paying their $ 50 just for 6 issues of the Jaguar Journal and our newsletters, or at least not a significant number.

I could be wrong about this, but the few members we might have lost by making the NL available on the web is easily made up by new members we got because they saw it on the site and decided that we were an active bunch of Jag nuts and they should be part of it.

You are right about the need for a print version... at a monthly dinner meeting we asked members if it was still important to receive a print copy even if it's on the web site, everybody's hand was up !

Pascal

SFJC

jaguar

forum user since

: I don't think that people are paying their $ 50 just for 6 issues of the

: Jaguar Journal and our newsletters, or at least not a significant number.

Perhaps not by intent, but at least half of most clubs rarely if ever go to any club event. The JJ & newsletter is their only tangible connection to the club and is a sign that they support the idea of a club even if they aren't active in it.

: I could be wrong about this, but the few members we might have lost by

: making the NL available on the web is easily made up by new members

: we got because they saw it on the site and decided that we were an

: active bunch of Jag nuts and they should be part of it.

I think people around your area that saw your web site would conclude that regardless of whether or not you had newsletters on the site!

: You are right about the need for a print version... at a monthly dinner

: meeting we asked members if it was still important to receive a print

: copy even if it's on the web site, everybody's hand was up !

Ironically, if you asked them if it was worth an added $25 in dues, not to mention the activities that could be organized if the effort went into them instead of creating a print publication, I suspect you'd get a lot less hands up. You'd still get enough hands to create a dilemma - the newsletter economics deteriorate rapidly as the print run gets smaller.

-Steve Averill

Everybody: Newsletter mailing to other clubs

Pascal Gademer

forum user since

I've been wondering what is the official JCNA position on newsletter mailing to other clubs.

We've been doing it and I think we have all the club editors on our mailing list yet we only receive newsletter from about half the clubs.

I'm planning on removing those who don't include us on their mailing list.

I think it's a good idea for clubs to exchange newsletters but obviously others don't seem to think so.

ideas ?

Pascal

SFJC