- Concours & Originality Forum -

"Non-authenic" License-plate & Reverse Light cover

Gerald Lynn Ellison
Carolina Jaguar Club *

forum user since 2003-11-10

At a recent Concours, I received a very minor deduction for "Non-Authenticity" for not having "LUCUS" marked on the underside of the Chromed cover of the "Reverse & License-plate" light assembly -on my ’56 XK-140 OTS.
However, on returning home, I checked the cover of the ORIGINAL light assembly (replaced because of burnished chrome on the base, and cracked & yellowed plastic “side-lenses” on the cover), I found that the original cover ALSO did not have “LUCUS” stamped on the underside. It did have “Made in England” stamped on the underside of the chrome cover, and it did have “LUCUS” cast in the back of the assembly base –so I have no doubt that this is the original light-assembly & cover. Perhaps the stamped “LUCUS” could have been worn off –though the chrome in this area is still very good with minimal wear – and the “Made in England” is clearly visible.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this, and/or know where I might buy a proper or NOS “Reverse / License-plate” Light assembly or cover with “LUCUS” stamped on the under-side of the cover ?? (Refurbishing the “original” cover won’t help – as it also does not have the “LUCUS” stamping.)

Jerry Ellison
Fayetteville, NC
XK140 OTS
2007 XJ VdP

George Camp
Jaguar Society of South Carolina *

forum user since 2002-11-24

Jerry LUCAS did normally stamp LUCAS 469 (lamp model number) under the bottom where you suggest. Perhaps the other is not original or just did not get stamped. I think someone has a few but they would most likely need to be refurbrished. In any case it is a glowing comment on your efforts that is where they had to look for a deduction. Well done!
By the way I was speaking to one of our vendors today and he commented on your car out of the blue--he said it was the most striking to him for its rarity and beauty--loved the proper painted wheels and the fact it was a standard!

JCRC SE
JCNA VP

Dick Cavicke
San Diego Jaguar Club *

forum user since 2002-11-13

See Bill Tracy for a lamp with the LUCAS logo.:

http://www.billtracyjaguar.com/rela12.html

Good luck,
Dick Cavicke

Gerald Lynn Ellison
Carolina Jaguar Club *

George,
Thanks for the comments.

If you hear of anyone who might have an assembly or original lamp assembly cover, keep me in mind.

(And THANKS for what you do for ALL of us !! - J/E)

Jerry Ellison
Fayetteville, NC
XK140 OTS
2007 XJ VdP

Gerald Lynn Ellison
Carolina Jaguar Club *

Dick,
WILL DO - and THANK you for the information.

Jerry Ellison
Fayetteville, NC
XK140 OTS
2007 XJ VdP

William Brady
Jaguar Owners Club, Inc. *

forum user since 2004-02-15

To penalise cars for things such as this is ridiculous, I will check my 140 as soon as I get a chance. From the comments your car is very nice but surely it can't be that good that they could not find real faults!

Jaguar affectionado and etc.

Gerald Lynn Ellison
Carolina Jaguar Club *

William,
Oh- there are several other faults that they did find - AND some that they didn't find. BUT-- if it's wrong - it's wrong. AND if it can be fixed without costing an-arm-and-a-leg, and I can do it myself - why not make it the best that I can ??
Even if no one else knows that it's right or wrong - I will.

Jerry Ellison
Fayetteville, NC
XK140 OTS
2007 XJ VdP