- Current Production Forum , Read Only -

Re: X-type, Saab 9-3, or Audi A4?

Robert DeHaan

forum user since

I am in the final stages of purchasing a new sedan. My three final picks are the X-type 3.0, A4 3.0, and 9-3 Viggen. Because the Viggen is being phased out (with the '03 9-3 model being introduced in the fall offering only a 175-hp engine), I do need to decide soon. Are there X-type owners who considered either the A4 or the 9-3? Are you pleased with the X-type, and do you recommend the 3.0 engine for a manual-only driver, or will the 2.5 do?

I was floored with how nice the X-type's interior is and how much room the trunk has, but I have read on-line reviews (e.g., on Edmunds.com) that really questioned the car's reliability and performance compared with the 325 and A4. Do you have major complaints? Are there Jaguar-specific performance quirks of which I should be aware? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

bob

forum user since

there is only one jag yes we pay for repairs but only one jag .

there are other quility cars out there but when you see a jaguar

it invokes class style and something from with in . so you decide

style class or just another car.

Pascal Gademer

forum user since

The reliability issue is no longer a real issue. Yes, 10 years ago, or maybe even 5 years ago, it was a concern but build quality on the current production models is as good as the other brands.

I've driven the X type a couple of times ( service loaners ) and even the base 2.5 is great, especailly with the 5 speed manual. I would probably go for the 3.0 though as there is never enough power but even the 2.5 is a good performer. ( and my daily driver is a 370hp XKR so I'm as addicted to hp as can be... )

I've never driven the Audis, but performance is roughly the same from what I've read. The styling and interior quality is really where the X shines... much more disctinctive than the boxy germans...

the Saab is more interesting, style wise, but low on power it seems even with a turbo. I remember being stuck behind a new one recently up a long grade in Tennessee, it was slow accelerating trying to pass a truck !

Pascal

: I am in the final stages of purchasing a new sedan. My three final picks

: are the X-type 3.0, A4 3.0, and 9-3 Viggen. Because the Viggen is

: being phased out (with the '03 9-3 model being introduced in the fall

: offering only a 175-hp engine), I do need to decide soon. Are there

: X-type owners who considered either the A4 or the 9-3? Are you

: pleased with the X-type, and do you recommend the 3.0 engine for a

: manual-only driver, or will the 2.5 do?

: I was floored with how nice the X-type's interior is and how much room

: the trunk has, but I have read on-line reviews (e.g., on Edmunds.com)

: that really questioned the car's reliability and performance compared

: with the 325 and A4. Do you have major complaints? Are there

: Jaguar-specific performance quirks of which I should be aware? Any

: information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

Mike Frank

forum user since

I have no direct experience with either the X-Type or the Audi, but the SAAB is another story. My wife is finally getting over a ten year love affair with a series of SAABs. I'm glad to have her back, and even more happy to be rid of those cars. If you'd like the current one, I'd be glad to crush it into a cube and send it to you via UPS. As a coffee table, it might work. Don't believe anyone who tells you that SAAB quality is improving.

Mike Frank

Steve Weinstein

forum user since

If you're still hedging on the decision, talk to Daniel Thompson, JCNA VP and Northeast Regional Director. He drove his X-type on the track at Lime Rock with us the end of May. The car performed superbly. It handled so well in the corners that he lapped me in my XJS (though he couldn't get past me in the straightaway, but then I have a big V-12 that goes like mad in a straight line). I'll be looking for a new car this winter when my lease is up on my daily driver. The X-type is definitely at the top of my very short list.

Regards,

Steve Weinstein

Daniel Thompson

forum user since

Thank you Steve. You fail to mention that the X-type and XJ-S are two very different cars!

Anyway, see my article at:

http://www.jcna.com/library/news/jcna0037.html

I am now passing the 10,000 mile mark with the car and it is still a winner, on or off the track!

Daniel