- Current Production Forum , Read Only -

'99 XJ8L Trunk/Boot Light Actuation Switch

Brian Vogel

forum user since 2006-07-23

Is anyone familiar as to where, exactly, this is located. My trunk lights have been working very intermittently for about the last year, and more often [thought not consistently] in cooler weather.

One thing I have noticed is that when the trunk lid is part way, between about 1/4 and 1/2 way open, the light will come on but once past the halfway point it goes out again.

I have access to the electronic workshop manual but have not hit upon the correct search term or terms to find the correct section for this switch. I suspect that this will be easily remedied if I can find the thing and take a look at it.

All assistance is greatly appreciated.

Brian

Brian Vogel
--
1999 XJ8L BRG - SAJHX6044XC865293
AKA "Bri the Tech Guy" http://britechguy.com

Steven Petry
Jaguar Association of Greater Indiana *

forum user since 2007-02-03

Brian,

The boot latch switch is attached directly to the latch, it needs to be taken loose from the boot lid and can be replaced. However, from your description though, it is plain that your problem is probably NOT the switch. You probably have a broken wire or wires in the harness that follows the right hand boot lid hinge. If you lower the lid trim panel on that side, and then remove the plastic cover that hides the harness, you will be able to pull the harness down and I'll bet you'll find some wires that have been flexing back and forth and have broken. The light going off and on as the lid is moved is the giveaway. Check that out and see if you find anything.

Good luck!

S Petry
'95 XJR
'97 XK8 Conv.

Brian Vogel

forum user since 2006-07-23

Thank you very much. I wasn't sure if the trunk lights might have been activated by a switch with weights that moved during travel of the lid, or what. The lights almost never come on, and your description of the probable cause seems the most reasonable for the symptoms.

I'll check this out after I finish working on my other British car!

Brian Vogel
--
1999 XJ8L BRG - SAJHX6044XC865293
AKA "Bri the Tech Guy" http://britechguy.com