- XK Powered Saloons and DHCs Forum -

Mark 2 distributor cap ---need help

Bruce Hickey

forum user since 2008-07-02

Tonight ( 5/26) I plan to attempt to start my latest acquisition - a 1964 Mark 2. It has not run in at least 21 years. I am set with everything EXCEPT I have to screw the plug wires into the distributor cap. I know that the firing sequence is 1 5 3 6 2 4 and I know that no. 1 cylinder is at the rear of the engine. I also know the rotation direction of the rotor in relation to the cap. Can anyone tell me which terminal on the cap is No. 1 ? ( Perhaps looking into the cap from the bottom in relation to the U-shaped cutout) George ---are you out there?

Thanks Bruce

Fan of Mark 1 saloons

William Brady
Jaguar Owners Club, Inc. *

forum user since 2004-02-15

No 1 cylinder is at the rear but the engine gets timed to No 6 at the front. As you said, look inside the cable holes and follow where they connect on the cover.

Jaguar affectionado and etc.

Bruce Hickey

Thanks for the reply but I'm not sure that I understand. I have the 6 wires coming from the sparkplugs. I need to know which terminal on the cap receives the wire from the number 1 ( rear) sparkplug. After that, I can sequence the other 5 since I know the firing order. Could you give me a call to explain? My cell is 585-703-9944. Thanks for the reply and the help.

Fan of Mark 1 saloons

Bruce Hickey

Thanks for the reply but I'm not sure that I understand. I have the 6 wires coming from the sparkplugs. I need to know which terminal on the cap receives the wire from the number 1 ( rear) sparkplug. After that, I can sequence the other 5 since I know the firing order. Could you give me a call to explain? My cell is 585-703-9944. Thanks for the reply and the help.

Fan of Mark 1 saloons

edward messikian
Jaguar Club of Southern New England *

forum user since 2005-06-07

Bruce , Set the No 6 cylinder at TDC front on compression stroke , check pointer on damper. assuming you have not touched the wires, still connected, . Check the rotor position it will be pointing to No 6 position.
Install No 6 wire to rotor position, tham go counter clockise to the firing order.

ED Messikian

Jaguar Club of Southern New England

William Brady

Bruce, if the engine is timed properly the plug that fires fires is the one at the front (in fact number six). The rotor arm on TDC, should be pointing to the eleven o'clock position. Look at the cap inside and see which aperture lines up with the rotor tip. Now find the plug wire socket it connects to, that is wher the wire from the front plug goes, You then follow the 153624 sequence. You need to trace the path of each aperture as you did with the first one as they are not next to each other . If stuck you can call me on 800 494 8092.

George Camp
Jaguar Society of South Carolina *

forum user since 2002-11-24

William 11 o'clock would be no.1 or 4 depending on the set of the dizzy.

JCRC SE
JCNA VP

William Brady

Hello George, what do you mean? If the distributor drive is in the correct position the rotor should be pointing to the front cylinder should it not?

Bruce Hickey

Thank you Bill and Ed and, of course, George.

I got the car running Saturday morning. The spark plug leads were completely gone from the car. I had nothing to go on at all. George called and squared me away with the position of the leads in relation to the cap. He also warned me that if someone in the past had rebuilt the motor, it was possible that they put the distributor back in 180 degrees out. Sure enough, after it failed to start wired correctly, I transposed the sequence by 180 degrees and it fired right up. It runs beautifully.

Fan of Mark 1 saloons