Wasatch Mountain Jaguar Register
- Current Production Forum , Read Only -

2006 3.0 S-type Windshield washer - no spray

Christensen Gary
Jaguar Association of Greater Indiana *

forum user since 2009-12-02

The tank is topped off - the washer motor runs - but no water comes out. I pulled the hoses at the bottom of the wiper arms. Nothing there.

Has been an issue for several months. Dealer claimed that tank had a lot of crud in it. They cleaned the tank and it worked. Shortly after, I was back in dealer for another item, I told them the washers didn't work. They claimed that nothing was found and washers worked fine. They haven't worked for some time now.

What do I have to remove to get to the tank and motor? I've not had the car up on the ramps. Could be that hose or connection is plugged from that initial crud that they found in the tank.

What if - I put air pressure on the end of the two hoses to see if it would blow the blockage out?

Thanks GaryC - Franklin, IN

Steven Petry

forum user since 2007-02-03

Gary,

After a couple of other cars have turned up experiencing a similar washer issue, we have come to the conclusion a small modification to the washer system might be in order. Your washer pump mounts thru a grommet in the side of the reservoir. The pump has a "snout" about an inch long and roughly 1/4 inch in diameter. The grommet is made with a small mesh like screen molded in the rubber, and the snout butts up against it when the pump is installed. We have decided that for all the good intentions the designer had, that screen is simply too much of a restriction and gets plugged way too easily.

Blowing backwards gently will probably get it working for a short time, but the best bet might be to get the grommet out and snip the little screen off. This type of pump has been used by many manufacturers for years and hasn't shown to be bothered by small matter.

Access to the pump can be gained by removing the lower frt undertray and loosening the RF wheelarch liner in the front of the tire. Still a little contortion is involved, plus loosing what fluid is in the reservoir.

I'm sorry if you felt we were not attentive to your concern.

Good luck!

S Petry
'95 XJR
'97 XK8 Conv.

Christensen Gary

forum user since 2009-12-02

Many thanks to Steve Petry at Tom Wood Jaguar in Indy. Front underskirt removed, tank drained, pulled washer pump, pulled grommet from tank, cut fine mesh from tank end of grommet, refilled tank, put front skirt back on.

Tested system, they work great.

Thanks
GaryC - Franklin, IN