I have a 1956 140DHC that was imported through Jersey, Chennel Islands into Europe by a US army officer based in Germany. The car does not have the manette for the horn but has a push button and on/off switch under the dash for the horn. The push button is a Lucas item with a 1956 date engraved on it so it is most likely that it was done by the factory or the importer. I recall reading that the law in some countries in Europe required a horn that could be switched off because it was illegal to sound the horn at night. Any comments?

Submitted by SE98-32482CJ on Mon, 01/31/2011 - 12:04

Ian you say there is no Manette control which I take to mean that there is no Horn push in the center of the steering wheel. Manette control most often refers to the horn/ turn signal device as used in pre war cars and the XK120 etc. XK140s of course used a seperate turn signal device. There is no mention of this option or any deviation from a normal horn push in the Xk140 parts manual or any of the Technical bulletins of the period. Further a quick look at German dealer options also does not list this. German regulations at the time as now required a functional horn although having lived in the midst of a German town that inforced silence laws I understand what you are working at--but the only requirement was to NOT sound your horn after hours. Cars used in rally operations and in some Racing applications had a Lucas push button mounted in a position that either the driver or co driver could reach. Lucas offered a host of "extra" switches in the period which could have been used including a switch for LOUD and SOFT horn notes--none factory. What do you have in the center of your steering wheel? To help sort this out it might be helpful if the type and color of wire that is used is described. Good LUCK