I am trying to restore a 1957 Jaguar XK140MC OTS to concourse standards. I have three questions related to this work:

1) Are the headlights that have the J-dot in the center correct or are the Lucas seal beams correct for this car? Does it make any difference to concourse judges?
2) When I got the car it had the bullet style fender mirrors that have two attachment screws rather than the typical single bolt type. Are the bullet style mirrors ok or do I need to replace them with the single bolt type, and again do the judges care?
3) Did this car come with a tool roll? If it did I need to include it at the showing. But if it did not is it better to not have it judged?

I would appreciate it if some knowledgeable person could provide answers to these questions.

Submitted by NC19-03320J on Wed, 06/13/2012 - 12:30

Hi Tom,
The way that I read the JCNA Concours rules is that a person who shows a 140 with J bar headlights would have to prove that the car was delivered to a non N. American market to advoid a deduction.

Submitted by SE09-47366J on Wed, 06/13/2012 - 12:03

XK140 JaguarÔÇÖs exported for use in Canada and USA were not fitted with Light Units and Bulbs. They were provided with adapters to allow fitment of USA/Canada approved sealed beam headlights by the Jaguar Dealer. See Spare Parts Catalogue for Jaguar XK.140 page 274.

Neither ÔÇ£J-dot in the centerÔÇØ Head Lamps (J.700) nor ÔÇ£Lucas sealed beamsÔÇØ were installed by the Jaguar factory in XK140ÔÇÖs shipped to the USA/Canada or listed as options for XK140ÔÇÖs in the Parts Catalogue.

JCNA Concours Rule Book ÔÇô Edition 10.2 JudgesÔÇÖ Guide for Scoring Non-Authenticity ÔÇô Chapter VI Page VI-9 provides an exception to Authenticity Requirements for Headlights in a foot note as follows:

f. Headlights: Entries are allowed to have any style and/or size headlamps, offered by Jaguar Cars Ltd., Jaguar Cars Inc. or Jaguar Canada Inc. for the specific model, regardless of the country to which the car was originally delivered.

This exception allows owners of Jaguars the option of making their cars appear as if they had not been originally exported to the USA/Canada. Authentic headlights for XK140 cars originally exported to the USA/Canada would be the sealed beams that you can currently buy at your local auto supply store. If an owner prefers the style of other head lamps (such as J.700) that were installed on cars originally delivered to other markets then JCNA Rules allow them to do so without a non-authenticity penalty at Concours.

Submitted by bonnettoboot@e… on Thu, 06/07/2012 - 20:23

Take it and show it, you will then find out what you need to do to the car. As for mirrors they were not fitted by the factory so you can use any British style. The simple 1 bolt mirror is next to useless but it is the most commonly used. There are much better ones out there, On the 140 I have they are single screw but are spring loaded, if they are bumped they do not go out of adjustment or damage the panel.

Submitted by SE21-35014J on Thu, 06/07/2012 - 19:32

David, To answer your questions;
1. The headlights on the 140 are the center "J" style.

2. The side mirrors are of the Lucas-style "center-bolt" type.

3. The XK-140 came with a very complete Tool-roll. You will need to display it only for "Champian"-Division" Concours-entry -NOT for "Driven-division".

EVERYTHING makes a difference to the Concours Judge - whether right or wrong.

If you are aiming to restore to Concours-standards I would STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you obtain the book- "Jaguar XK 140 explored" -by Bernard Viart (edited by Roger Payne - published by P J Publishing Ltd This book book is your Bible for accurate and authenic restoration of a XK 140.

I obtaind mine from the JCNA "book-store". If they are out- try one of the Jaguar parts suppliers or www.paulskilleterbooks.com _BUT accept NO substitute.

For the best supply of ACCURATE XK 140 tools - try Tom Buckus of "Jaguar Tools" - tbuckusatinnernet.net .

Gerald Ellison
2011 JCNA First Place Award-winner - D-01 Classic Class (Driven-Division) 1956 XK 140 OTS