Hi all, and thanks in advance for any input.

What color should, would have, or can the top boot (not the trunk boot, but the thing that covers the top when it is folded down) be ? Will judges expect the "top down cover" to be a certain color ?

I understand the trunk boot has to be saddle no matter the interior color but don't see reference to the top cover in the Judge's guide. My car is white with red interior. The cloth top on it was black canvas and was installed either new, or prior to 70, in which case I think it is OEM or maybe was an OEM replacement based on it's construction. It is probably the original, so I'm ordering a new black top. The car had two "covers" stowed in the trunk, one black with red piping and the other tan/saddle. I have no idea if one might be the original.

Thank you !

Submitted by curtis@thiscra… on Fri, 05/07/2010 - 12:14

Edited on 2010-05-07 12:16:52

George and everyone. Thank you so much.

The higher quality hood cover I have is black w/red piping so does match the interior color. Unlike the saddle one, it also matches the cloth/canvas material of what I think is the original top (real rough now). So I believe I will order a black with red piping one with my interior kit and black canvas top. Just to keep the car as close to as delivered as possible.

I have to say I am surprised that the car, or cars did not have vinyl tops in 64.

Curtis Wood

Submitted by SE98-32482CJ on Thu, 05/06/2010 - 20:01

Curtis as to your boot cover should be black with black piping or black with piping the color of your interior--it was optional either way.

Cliff hi guy---uh read what Dick said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Submitted by SW03-09811 on Thu, 05/06/2010 - 19:52

Cliff and Curtis,
I'll count on someone else to advise you of the correct color but, just as a reminder, there's a section of the JCNA Exterior score sheet which calls for the examination of the "Hood, Hood Env., Side Curtains and Tonneau". The Hood cover you are referring to is also known as a Hood Envelope. It should be shown and judged.

Regards,
Dick Cavicke

Submitted by cburk@kiva.net on Thu, 05/06/2010 - 18:56

Curtis,
Looks like you're referring to the hood cover. Your reference to judges suggests you plan to show your car. As OTSs are shown with the hood up/latched/closed (pick one), the hood color is not relevant. I too have wondered why the hood cover is not required to be shown "on the side" like floor mats and side curtains in other classes.

AFAIK, there are 2 main types of hood covers. The S2 covers have slits and snaps to allow the 3-point seat belts to fit over the seat and your shoulder w/o schmooshing the bottom of the cover behind the seat. The snaps help to keep the shoulder strap within easy reach. S1 covers do NOT have that slit 'n snap feature.

Someone else may be able to answer your color question. I've only seen black ones. I may see more if they are ever required to be displayed.