Hello - I don't know much about Jaguar and therefore need some help and input. Currently, I am looking at at a 1992 XJS convertible. Per the owner it has a new steering rack & rear end. The service history he has for the past 5 years are mainly oil changes every 3000 miles, besides the above items. What kind of maintenance is needed for 60000 miles? Can anyone provide me with a local mechanic in the Hingham, MA area, to have it inspected. Plus, I will be needing a good mechanic near Nashua, NH .
Thanks......Rik

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 11/02/2016 - 03:52

Thank you.

Submitted by eeng417@aol.com on Tue, 07/15/2003 - 17:35

Rik:

How did it go????? Did you buy the car????? I wish I had of read your post a LOT sooner, because I would have advised you on the "DOOM and GLOOM" aspects of Kirby's book.

Anyway, I have a '92 XJS convertable and I love it. Mine has over 100K miles it, and still rips it down road. Love that V-12.

Hope to hear from you.....

John Cantera
'92 XJS convertible V-12
My First Kitty

Submitted by carreradude@at… on Tue, 12/24/2002 - 01:02

Steve,

Thanks for the information and support, I have downloaded the book. In the morning I will be scheduling an inspection with a Jaguar dealer in Woburn, MA for Friday. Will let you know how it goes.
Rik van Lier

Submitted by NE52-32043 on Mon, 12/23/2002 - 17:37

Rik,

First, if you don't know much about these cars, you should go to www.jag-lovers.org and follow the links to the XJS pages and download "The Book" by Kirby Palm. This is a free download over the internet. The Book contains everything you will ever want to know about the XJS range. There is an extensive section on buying one of these including what to look for.

Unless you are an experienced mechanic, you MUST have the car looked at by a good Jaguar mechanic who know XJS's. '92 was still the during the years that the V-12 engines had Marelli ignition systems, which were prone to causing engine fires. While they are safe if properly maintained, too many non-Jaguar mechanics who worked on these made foolish mistakes that could cause problems and fires -- something as simple as gapping the plugs at .035 instead of .025.

In terms of finding a good mechanic, try reaching out for Gary Hagopian off-list. He's from NH and could probably direct you to someone. Also, contact the Jaguar Association of New England (JANE), through this website. Gary and his wife Sue are active in JANE, and others in JANE from that area can help you find an experienced mechanic to look at the car and help you maintain it in tip top shape once you own it.

All that said, the XJS is a great car, and an "OTS" (open two-seater) is a blast. Get that V-12 out on the highway and let'r rip! There's nothing like it, except maybe an XKR convertible (at about 10 times the cost).

Let us know if you end up getting it, and if you do, join JANE and get active with the club. You won't regret it.

Steve Weinstein, JTC-NJ
'72 E-type 2+2
'89 XJS Coupe