I have a stored car that suddenly has water in the engine oil, so I assume the head gasket has blown, Has anyone had such a situation or knows where other sources would allow water in the oil?

Submitted by bonnettoboot@e… on Sat, 03/02/2013 - 18:44

Thank you George, I was going to drive the car and started to ready it, when I drained the oiI I was shocked at the ammount of contamination . I didn't even check for the loss of coolant as I figured it had to be a head gasket. Now, when I have the head off i can see no sign of a gasket problem & realized i should have done a few more tests. There was some white smoke on start up but I thought it was just moisture due to the cold weather, i'm wondering if it could be a leaking engine oil cooler, I will restart the investigation on monday.

Submitted by SE98-32482CJ on Sat, 03/02/2013 - 17:17

Well if the coolant level was down and I was sure someone had not put water in the oil hole (I have seen that) it would almost have to be a head gasket. Any other mixing would require a lot of rotten metal. Is there any chance it is just condensation? One more thought there was a tech update to change the routing of the crank case breather as it would collect moisture on the dip stick looking like a failure. Good luck.