On my 1998 XJ8, it's happened 5 times - when I turn the key there's a click but the starter doesn't respond. It can happen with engine hot or cold. Sometimes after waiting a few minutes it works again, other times it won't. If I flatbed it to the shop of course it works as soon as it comes off the truck. The battery has good voltage and the voltage at the battery terminals drops by only a tiny amount when the key is turned. Jumping to the battery positive terminal and the frame doesn't help. I've shotgunned the problem by replacing the starter and switching the starter relay. My best guess for now is a wiring intermittant between the relay and the solenoid. Any ideas?

Submitted by is.grant@ieee.org on Wed, 12/29/2010 - 13:58

For anyone interested in the happy ending - my excellent mechanic found two wiring problems. The main reason was corrosion where the battery cable came through the front lower firewall, but he also found burned up wires in a closed body cavity (I'm still not quite sure where) for a starter blocking circuit involving the transmission, however not the blocking due to being in gear.

Submitted by dwcurtiss@virt… on Tue, 10/19/2010 - 18:35

It is amusing how we all process written words; I do not advocate to "beat the heck out of the starter" :o) It is one quick method of_possibly_eliminating suspected starter failure. Of course, you could always take it out of the Jag and have it tested - multiple times - to insure it does not land on a failed armature winding spot. I agree (and assumed) you had checked the energizing circuit for points of weakness.

Good Luck!
Dwight

Submitted by stevejag@sbcgl… on Tue, 10/19/2010 - 16:13

Whoa! Before you beat the heck out of the starter, check all the battery cable connections, the power junction box at the front of the trunk and the pass-thru power stud in the false bulkhead in front of the right hand hood latch. If ANY of these connections are loose or burned you will be left with the condition you described.

Its possible it is the starter, but that is extremely rare on these cars.

Good luck!

Submitted by dwcurtiss@virt… on Tue, 10/19/2010 - 14:54

Hi Ian,

This issue is similiar to my '72 Chevy pickup. The starter armature had a bad spot and if the armature field winding landed on the bad spot the starter would not energize and spin. I put in a rebuild starter that had the identical problem - right out of the box! Third time was the charm - so much for rebuilds!

Next time it happens to you at home: jack the Jag up and give the starter a hit or two with a hammer - preferably on an attachment bolt or other surface that won't be damaged. If the armature winding is bad you might nudge it off the bad spot and the starter may spin. If this happens chances are high your replacement starter is bad, too. If it doesn't help - well then you really didn't have to tear it apart to eliminate the starter as the culprit, and you can move onto the next possible cause.

Good luck!
Dwight