The door windows on my XK8 drop about a half inch or so when I open the door but have stopped going back up when I close the door. They will continue to do this with each successive opening and closing until the window is completely rolled down. Both doors are affected. They still work normally when the power window switches are used. This started after I recently had the top down and put it back up, although I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I thought I recalled reading somewhere that the windows could be "reset" by lowering them completely with the switch and then raising them back up all the way, but I tried this and it had no effect. I thought I might try lowering the top and letting it go through the complete raising sequence again, including the automatic raising of the door windows to their full-up position to see if that helps. Any other ideas?

Submitted by kenkyle4@earth… on Tue, 09/23/2014 - 18:37

Thanks Steve, it worked like a charm. As for the battery being weak, it's never given me any trouble and I always keep it on a battery tender whenever I'm not using the car, but still, I don't know how old the battery is so I'll be keeping a close eye on it. Thanks for the tip.

Submitted by alain.delplanq… on Mon, 09/22/2014 - 16:19

This a very frequent problem, which can make you search for days ! It made me become half crazy the first time I disconnected my battery.Effectively, the reset procedure is very easy to do, and solves the problem immediately.
Steven is right: maybe your battery is a little weak.
Have a good reset !

Submitted by stevejag@sbcgl… on Mon, 09/22/2014 - 14:18

The actual procedure is to [best with the engine running] raise the glass, release the switch, then press it to raise again and hold for two seconds. Then do the same going down; release the switch and press down again for two seconds.

Your description tends to point to a weakening battery. If the battery is disconnected, this procedure is needed. If the battery voltage goes below a certain threshold, it will also be needed. Many times we have complaints that the glass keeps loosing it's memory. It usually traces to a weak battery and the memory being lost either when the car is started, or when the convertible top is operated with the engine off. Both cause the battery voltage to dip below that 'threshold'. Sometimes the battery will pass a test, but still causes glass memory loss.

I think I'd start there.

Good luck!

Submitted by vineyardman68@… on Mon, 09/22/2014 - 13:37

Edited on 2014-09-22 13:40:21
Ken,
Get in a quite place (Garage), get in the car, close the door, turn the key on----don't start the engine---then using the buttons, lower the window while holding the button and listen for a slight "click". Raise the window--again holding the button and listen for another "click". Then do the same thing for the passenger side.
You may have to do this a couple of times to listen for the click, but then your windows will work as they should. Remember--you have to hold the up and down button until you hear the click or a little "clunk"

Chuck
05/XK8 Conv.