Good morning Jaguar experts

I wanted to really clean the car inside and out, so I lower the hood and removed the 2 front seats. Well now the car does not start, battery is good, I have power but no cranking. I am certain, there is a safety swin somewhere preventing the engine to start when the front seats are out of the car

Can some one shap so light on this one?

Thank you

Michel South Florida Jaguar Club Treasurer

Submitted by stevejag@sbcgl… on Sat, 05/03/2014 - 21:56

MIchel, Jerry has you pretty well covered here. He is especially accurate on the switch replacement, it does require a contortionist.

Yes, a failing battery can cause many seemingly inexplicable 'failures' and ghosts on this or any multiplexed car.

So, baby steps, if the battery is an issue, get that corrected pronto. Then deal with the brake switch. Be aware that the code Jerry referred to indicating the brake switch sometimes can't be read by some cheaper equipment independents sometimes use. So they may not even know it's there. Your symptoms though, are pretty convincing.

Good luck!

Submitted by wrischan@yahoo.com on Sun, 05/10/2015 - 12:24

In reply to by stevejag@sbcgl…

I just purchased a 2006 XK8 from my neighbor.
He warned me of this issue ... with a twist ... we are in Houston ... if the car is "cold" ... having been in the garage overnight and under 70 deg F or so, I might get this error ... but once outside and turned on and off, it is fine. First day I owned it ... it happened! So keep it warm! I think a strange issue with contacts in the switch or the module it is connected to.
Bill (68 E-type driver, 66 E-type under (slow) restoration, and now XK8 driver)

Submitted by SE21-33540J on Sat, 05/03/2014 - 16:32

Michel,

I have the same problem with the cruise control and the check rear lights. My dealer said my code shows a fault with the brake switch. Apparently it is multifunctional. While the break lights work the part that tells the cruise control to cancel thinks the brakes are being applied thus releasing the cruise. I have not replaced the switch yet because I am trying to work up enough nerve to do it myself. Apparently you must position yourself upsidedown and backwards while your head rest on the brake pedal or something like that.

Submitted by desp8838@bells… on Sat, 05/03/2014 - 16:20

Hello Steven

Another month without having the XK8 sorted out, Now I have the cruise control not operating property it looks like it is sett at 40 MPH but it is not, then the righ rear lighs are showing that they are not working and in fact they are just fine. Now the driver side seat belt is attached but the system is showing a failure. If the battery is not fully charged and reeds replacing will this create failures like this with the cruise control?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Michel

Submitted by stevejag@sbcgl… on Mon, 03/31/2014 - 14:37

Sounds like you may have triggered the security system so it thinks it has been violated. Close up the bonnet and boot, and try to lock the car and raise the hood with the key in the door cylinder by holding it in the lock position. If you can accomplish that, the network and security system are intact. Then unlocking the car [with the key] will properly disarm the security system. If it still will not crank, something has been disturbed elsewhere in the car.
Is there anything else you have disturbed or disconnected other than the connectors at the bottom of the two seats?? Did you remove the console??

Cheers,