I have a 91 jag xj6/4o with literally no problems, however lately the battery goes out overnight, I replaced the battery and still doing it. Anybody have any suggestions? car only has 67k. Also I'm noticing loss of power.

Submitted by louismolina@ho… on Sun, 05/25/2003 - 13:08

Thanks Ron, After waiting for a response I decided to have a local mechanic take a look at it, and found out that the seat belt was getting stuck, so I did a research and found out there was a recall on the seatbelt back in 93 and luckily it still under the warranteed, as for the loss of power he thinks is the fuel pump so I'm gonna get a second opinion.

Submitted by ron8445@aol.com on Sat, 05/24/2003 - 17:43

'92 XJ6 Sovereign

Lots of luck on getting a viable answer here. I have been waiting 24 days since My last question concerning My '92 Sovereign to no avail.

But, as for Your problem; I too had the same situation. I found that after dark I could see that the small lights on the back of the seats were on and I could not get them off. I removed the bulbs and the problem stopped.

However, If the car sits for week or so without being started I have to recharge the battery. So, I know that there is a 'dead short' somewhere. I just haven't found it yet. One cheap alternative may be for You to purchase one of those quick disconnect battery posts, You know, the toggle switch type that You replace the Negative post with. Of course You'll have to re-code Your radio at every start up.

Watch Your Amp meter. If the charging seems weak You may have something as simple as a grounding strap not reconnected on the engine. This happens frequently after some work in the engine compartment by a mechanic who just forgets to reattach the ground.

As far as the loss of power, I'll leave that to more learned folks. I can only speculate but, It too could be connected to a decreased spark/ignition system because of a disconnected ground strap.

Ron