Hello,
I need help findin and confirming information. I have just purchased a 1962 FHC that is supposed to be the display car from the New York auto show of 1962. I have checked with the heritage registry in England but they can not confirm the serial number for the show car. Does anyone know where I could get such information?
Can anyone help? I have been told that Jaguar made 3 or 4 cars inb a special metalic bronze color for the show circuit. This car is that color. But this is all the information I have. Please Help.
Anyone with information can reply directely to my e-mail: cebotech1atyahoo.com.
Thanks in advance.

Bill Berman.

Submitted by warren.hansen@… on Tue, 08/19/2003 - 23:40

Daniel & Steve,

I agree with the points both of you have made, and I sure hope that Bill hasn't been "taken" on his purchase. But, note, he DID say that it was sold to him as a display car from the 1962 New York Show, not THE display car from the inaugural show (which we all know was in 1961). The question is: Was there a bronze fhc on the Jaguar stand the second year? And if so, can the serial number be traced to confirm what Bill has been led to believe.

Bill: Where are you located? Has anyone else looked at the car and given you an opinion? We're all here to help you on this!

Warren Hansen
70 E-Type FHC "Silver Bolide"
96 X300

Submitted by NE52-32043 on Tue, 08/19/2003 - 10:34

Daniel makes an excellent point. There are lots of people running around claiming all sorts of "history" on old cars. Claims of being show cars, race cars, ownership by a celeb. Some can be documented, but most claims are just that -- claims.

Ultimately, a car is worth what someone will pay for it. But before plunking down dollars to pay for something based on a claim that it has some special history, a prospective buyer should be certain to verify the information through independent sources. In some respects, it's more important than checking for rust or mechanical problems if you plan on paying a premium for an historically "important" car. The old caution -- caveat emptor -- is most certainly true when it comes to buying old cars, especially those that carry claims of special provenance.

Steve Weinstein

Submitted by dthompson@gbc.ca on Tue, 08/19/2003 - 07:55

Bill,

It is always a good idea to confirm claims like this BEFORE parting with your cash. I hope you did not pay a premium for the car based on this "information".

The E-type was launched in North America at the New York Auto Show in April 1961 (not 1962). There were four cars on display, including the centerpiece, a bronze fixed head coupe (serial number 885004 now owned by a collector in California).

Your car comes a year AFTER the launch. Was there a New York Auto Show in 1962? I assume there was. Were there Jaguars on display at the 1962 show? Probably. Is there historical significance to a car that was displayed in 1962? Very little. Was bronze a "special" color for show cars? No.

I would suggest you send your data plate numbers to the archive service here in New Jersey (the information can be found on jcna.com in the library section) and at least confirm the original delivery specs on your vehicle.

Bronze is a lovely color for an early FHC. Enjoy the car and next time leave the onus to the seller to prove his claims!

Daniel

2002 X-type
1968 E-type
1958 MkIX
1952 XK120