I have just purchased a 1966 E Type and will register it in NY State.

Does anyone have experience on the issue of what NY State requires on the front license plate on this car ???

If it is needed where can a bracket be purchased ???

Steve

Submitted by SE09-39804 on Fri, 09/26/2003 - 22:44

Hi Paul, what did you decide to do about your front license plate bracket? If it is original equipment and you wish to part with it perhaps we can work something out. Contact me at avmaggioatearthlink.net
Art.

Submitted by NE52-32043 on Wed, 08/13/2003 - 10:42

Many states, like NJ, allow for historic or "classic car" registration. NJ requires front license plates on all cars except "historic" registered cars. If you register and have historic plates in NJ, the front plate is optional. Rather than carry the plate, I carry a copy of the law in case an overly zealous cop questions it. And, with historic registration, there is no inspection requirement and no emissions testing. All you need to register as historic is a car that is more than 25 years old. Plus, the registration fee is a one-time charge, no annual renewal cost.

Steve Weinstein, JTC-NJ
'72 E-type 2+2
'70 XKE FHC

Submitted by pleebrick@caro… on Fri, 08/08/2003 - 05:02

I live in North Carolina and have no requirements for a front plate. I recently bought an xke that has the front bracket. I'll let you know if I can remove it because it is an eyesore if its not needed!

Paul Leebrick
1967 S1 XKE 2+2

Submitted by mfrank@westnet.com on Thu, 08/07/2003 - 19:31

New York requires a front plate. You should be able to find the parts at any of the big parts houses. Get a copy of Hemmings, and look under J-Parts, Literature, Services. There are about two dozen big suppliers, and many smaller guys who should be able to help.

I also live in NY, and have never mounted a front plate. I keep the plate in the car, and if I'm ever stopped, I pop it onto the dashboard. Never had a problem with it, although technically it's a ticket.

Mike Frank

Submitted by tedj77@aol.com on Thu, 08/07/2003 - 19:20

Don't know about NY law relating to front license plates, but all Ejags of the series 1 persuasion delivered new in the US had a mount under the nose that was mounted on a pivoting license plate carrier. The carrier had a linkage tying it to the bonnet pivot support forward of the radiater so that the license plate wood tuck neatly under the nose when the bonnet was open. If you don't have all of that mechanism, I'd try a number of Jag parts suppliers to see if you can source it used. Good luck

Ted Johnson