If anyone knows a means or source to positively identify what bell housing my Moss box has please let me know.

Nothing has been changed it is as it came from the factory.

I bought this Moss box with overdrive from a guy who bought it from a guy, who stated it came out of a rusty low mile Mark2 3.8

Looks beautiful inside by the way..

In order to buy the correct aluminum flywheel and starter i need to confirm it is indeed out of a 3.8L.

This is the serial number GBN 34303 JS

I bought a vintage Jaguar Service Manual, Section F Gearbox and Overdrive which has its prefix and suffix listed and states it is an Intermediate Ratio box, which is good for me. No syncro 1st.

This service manual was for 2.4 and 3.4 litre Jaguars but covers my trans.

3.4 and 3.8 flywheels and starters are different and it would be a huge inconvenience to install the wrong parts. Contacting Jag Heritage would take too long to get an answer.

Submitted by NE40-48370 on Sat, 05/12/2012 - 15:55

Psumably you could buy the flywheel and starter on approval? If the engine is out you could fit the box on ther back and check the starter and flywheel work with both bolted carefully in place using flat washers temporarily so as not to marke the parts.

I already said it in previous answers that it was a Moss box non-synchro first and will not fit your car without significant work. That work has nothing to do with the flywheel and starter and will still need doing regardless. Unless you are in a mad rush to get the car on the road I would be trying to get my money back and bale out of that box and buy the correct one.

Pete

Submitted by SE98-32482CJ on Sat, 05/12/2012 - 15:02

That is the right serial for a shaved gear box from a 3.4 or 3.8Lwith O/D ---but to know what bell housing you have we will need to see pics. Before I went to all of that trouble and expense I would have a bit more than "a guy from a guy" as my safety. good luck.