Hello everyone. I am new to the Jaguar family... I purchased a 2010 Jag XF used with 20,000 miles in 2012 from a Lexus Dealership. I love Jaguars and I was so excited with my first purchase!.....

That is until now...

Situation:

Years wise, I am out of warranty. Mileage wise, I am now at 47,000 miles. When driving on a trip, I avoided an accident by swerving out of the way to avoid a collision with another vehicle. After steering clear and preventing an accident, the maneuver of the car cause the engine to suddenly shake and car to shut off completely. Took a while for me to get the car to turn over and place into neutral to park it in a safe area. Fast forward.. I had it towed to Pep Boys and the diagnostic cam back 31 CODES!!! I shipped the car to British Motors where the car was originally purchased and they diagnosed that the timing chain came off, something was with the pistons and some additional internal engine damage. Total cost... They say $34,000 for a new engine. Well my car loan is for $32,000. I asked what the cause may have been and the dealer said lack of maintenance. However I provided records that show I get my routine maintenance done on this vehicle. In addition I also got corporate involved. They said that the 3rd party didn't use the right oil (5W-20 full synthetic). 3rd party provided the info that they do. Only difference is the brand, Castro (Jaguar Recommended) vs. Valvoline (3rd Party used). Corporate continues by saying that because I used the other brand, this could be the cause for the damage to my engine. In addition, continued to point out that yearly wise, I'm out of warranty. I'm stressed mentally and emotionally because I'm stuck with a $33,000 loan on a car now that does not work with repairs which cost more than the cars worth. And corporate is standing behind the defense that because I used a different brand (yet correct grade) and that I'm 1 year out of warranty (But still below 50,000 miles) that I'm pretty much S.O.L. In addition, they claim that the since this is a "Used" vehicle, the previous owner may have abused maintenance. Well I did the research and have the documents showing that the previous owner did conduct routine maintenance and at the Jag Dealership from which it was purchased.

What can I do? I just joined the Jaguar family, with the expectations of a luxurious vehicle with amazing performance and customer service. However within 2 years, I'm now stuck with a $34,000 new engine... And $32,000 loan. Does anyone have any suggestions? For some reason I still love Jaguar and have better hopes for this company that they would stand by their brand...

David - vitalomuatgmail.com