Submitted by ACP on Thu, 12/10/2015 - 14:40

Hi there - I'm new here but searched for help on this subject and didn't find anything. If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it.

I recently bought a 1972 E-Type S3 OTS manual that my father bought new in Canada in 1972. I now live in California so I brought it here, ensuring that it crossed the border with correct EPA and DOT paperwork using the 25-year exemptions.

Upon registering it in California I received a letter from the DMV requiring a "compliance letter" "from the manufacturer" that the vehicle conforms to Federal Safety Standards for used cars. I presume this means for 1972.

The car has a Canadian safety sticker in the door from new. I can't imagine what would be different on a US car, and in fact apparently all Canadian cars were delivered to New Jersey in that era first. Car has 3-point belts, air pump, blue dots on the carbs, idle retard on the ignition, sealed beam headlights, etc.

I contacted Jaguar USA and while they've tried to be helpful, they bunted me to a Heritage Certificate and the help of the club scene. But the DMV letter is particular about the letter being from the manufacturer.

Any experience or thoughts on this?

It's a pretty early S3, before the starter change and oil pressure sender move. UC1S20274. Never restored, all original, numbers match.

Thanks!
Andrew