This is to bring you up to date:

We have signed the hotel contract with the Chateau Elan in Braselton Ga, for the Sept dates quoted.
The hotel is a fantastic place, perfectly located, great facilities, 4 golf courses, room for our concours, and near the Road Atlanta racetrack where we hope to run our own track day and slalom.
It is a VERY expensive place under normal conditions. In order to get room rates even close to "affordable", (we expect to subsidize) we had to schedule the event at a time of year agreeable to them, and such that the HIGHEST occupancy in the hotels, would be on the weekend. The contract is firm, with horrendous cancellation provisions.
Our concern is that if the main event, the Concours d'Elegance were scheduled first, and the awards banquet 3 days later after the "driving" events, that fewer than half of the peak number of folks at the concours, would still be there to occupy the rooms and attend the banquet on the weekend. That would blow the rates sky-high, or cause penalties for not meeting minimums.
In Phoenix, the event was subsidized with sponsorship to the extent that the entry fee, (single price) covered LESS THAN HALF of the actual cost!
In 2005, our challenge is to raise enough money to subsidize $160.00 PER ENTRANT! (room rate subsidy)
These events are VERY challenging to organize and fund. Mistakes are costly. I understand your reasoning for wishing the driving after the Concours, even tho I expect that complaints would surface from those having driven their cars to the event, as

"not being given enough time to clean & prepare!"

We'll take your wishes into consideration for the 2007 event, tentatively sceduled for St Louis, or INDY. The 2005 dates are "chiseled in stone".
Please, let's make a concerted effort to SUPPORT THE ORGANIZERS of the 2005 event. Plan your club's 2005 schedule so as not to compete with the Challenge Championship, the event being conducted for YOUR benefit!

Gary Hagopian

Submitted by NE52-32043 on Thu, 12/18/2003 - 16:31

Pascal,

2007 Indy sounds good to me!! That puts both 2005 and 2007 in shooting distance for our club and most of the others in the Northeast. Based on the success of our Franklin trip and our subsequent club tours, I'm sure we will get a very big contingent out for both Georgia and Indiana.

Gary,

Since the 2005 has already been booked and we are locked in, I would hope that the word will be out very early for clubs to start planning now to attend. I've already put it on our club's planning agenda for our January planning meeting. I hope others will do the same.

Steve Weinstein, JTC-NJ
'72 E-type 2+2
'70 XKE FHC

Submitted by pascal@jcna.com on Thu, 12/18/2003 - 11:02

gary

I didn't mean to sound negative or unsupportive, sorry if I came out that way! I know it's too late for 2005 but I think it's really something to consider for the future.

I really do not think that anyone driving or trailering 1000 miles to get to the JCC will want to leave before the end, especailly if awards are given out at the end! :-)

for instance, one way to encourage participaton in driving events would be to work out a deal with a rental company and get special rates on s-type or XJ8s. that would encourage those still afraid to drive their Jaguars to participate. In fact, it could be a plus even in 2005 for those not willing to drive their cars before the concours.

2007 Indy? any decent roads out there? I don't really recall any... applogies to our JAGIN friends... I wish we could have one in Texas... San Antonio... hill country.. the best roads I've ever driven on! In fact, the Yo! ranch had a big resort/ convention center...

Pascal Gademer
South Florida Jaguar Club
72 E-type 2+2
00 XKR Coupe
99 XJR