Edited on 2014-12-30 15:08:59
Edited on 2014-12-30 14:48:28
All:
I knew this would be an issue when we bought our used Xk8. It had ~ 57k miles, and I had done some reading on "Roadfly" forums under the Jaguar thread. Several owners of DHC's had noted this issue as the (all too common) failure of the hydraulic lines/fittings/coupling in the windscreen frame above the courtesy light.
The resulting drip of a dark greenish hydraulic fluid (post failure) is the indicator of the underlying issue. I took precautions since I had a spare roll of disposable blue shop towels (bless you, Costco) in the boot against the random fluid level check or spot cleaning of something under the bonnet.
That day eventually arrived as I was putting the "hood" up before going to work (cleaning bird droppings off the upholstery is not my favourite pass-time). I quickly retrieved the towel roll, sopped up the mess the corrosive hydraulic fluid had made (fortunately I had some spare "hospital" nitrile gloves in the boot also from a previous detailing session), put a multi-layer "pad" of towels over the console area to protect against further drips, and drove the car to The Jag Shop in Portland for repairs.
Unfortunately those hydraulic lines were in short supply from Jaguar at the time. The only set imported for months had been snatched up by a New York repair shop. [Those very long lines run from the hydraulic pump/reservoir system in the boot up under the left door sill (necessitating the removal and replacement - with a new part - of the step plate with the XK8 nomenclature) up through the left A-Pillar and then connecting to the latch mechanism at the center of the frame above the courtesy light/rear view mirror assemblies. I believe the lines are each about 125 inches long. This procedure also necessitates removing the interior trim panel from the top window frame and the dash/instrument panel assembly, and driver's seat - in LHD cars - as well.]
The defedctive hoses were removed, along with their appropriate fittings, and sent to a local hydraulic hose manufacturer I had done business with in the past. Through The Jag Shop I instructed the hose shop (Air Oil Products, Portland, Oregon) to fabricate replacement lines out of 3,000 psi aircraft quality braided hose (to preclude another failure for a very long time). The hoses were fabricated per the samples, installed and tested.
Problem solved (so far).
As far as I (a non-mechanic Jaguar enthusiast) can tell, the failure of the factory lines is most likely based on age of the hoses and the number of cycles the hood mechanism has gone through. That may also be hogwash, but it is a working theory based on past experience in the aviation industry.
I don't think you should blame the shop for this problem. It is impossible to detect until the failure occurs unless you want your car's interior dismantled and a periodic inspection, testing, and replacement (as necessary) of all hoses, lines, couplings, fittings, etc. Not unlike a "phase inspection" on a commercial aircraft. The most likely location for this type of failure is not inaccessible, but is inconvenient and time consuming to get to.
Sorry this message is probably too late, but my advice to all XK8 owners who have this problem is to replace the factory parts with non-authentic aircraft quality hoses and never worry about the problem again for a very long time.
As to the caustic fluid/corrosion-caused problems with the mirror, radio face plate, and other interior items close to the center console: It is likely that by now you have discovered you will have to replace all of those items that have either been cosmetically damaged or permanently rendered non-functional by the damage from contact with the hydraulic fluid.