I am restoring a 64 MK2. I did drive the car 5 or 6 miles after I bought it and before disassembly. I did not notice any noise from the rear end at the time (bearings, or gear whine). The car has 93,000 miles on the odometer and based on maintenance records I have it seems to have been pretty well maintained. I am building a nice driver, not a show car.
So with that preamble, here are my questions. Are rear diff bearings pretty much bullet proof? Do you recommend that I leave the rear axle alone other than new hubs, roller bearings and pinion oil seal? Or should I go to the trouble and expense of replacing the differential roller bearings now even though there is no apparent problem.
I finally got the old hubs off after borrowing a tool, but it looks like pulling the axle may be equally challenging?
When replacing the pinion oil seal, the manual calls for using an installation collar tool # SL.4. Is the tool really required or can the seal be carefully driven into place using a large socket, pvc pipe or something else of the right diameter?
Finally, how many pounds of torque used for the pinion nut?

Thanks very much for your opinions or related thoughts.

Lin