What is the consensus on the presence of carb tags on the xk 140? It is unclear in a previous thresd. I was recently penalized for not having carb tags on my 1956 xk 140 ots standard car. The judges reasoning for their originality was less than convincing. After some research this is what I have found. They are not listed in the Jaguar parts catalog. In Bernard Viart's book" xk 140 explored" they are not shown on the detailed carb drawings (pg 225), and are not on the car on the factory floor photo (pg40) . They are not included in the carb drawings(plate H) of the jcna published xk 140 34th annual general meeting from 1992.It is my feeling from what I have found that they were not originally on my car. I am showing in South Carolina in November and was deciding if I should put them on. Additionally, I am thinking of contesting my recent deductions on these grounds. Any thoughts? Also not to stray but what color should the bar in front of the radiator on an xk 140 ots be? Black or body color? and carb linkage cad or black? Thanks

Submitted by SW03-09811 on Thu, 10/18/2012 - 02:14

Ron,
A couple of us are working on your carburetor tag question. At this point, we have found nothing to contradict your own findings and have no idea what source the Judge used to conclude that your 140 should have them. The host club Chief Judge should be advised of the problem. If he is unable to resolve the issue, a formal protest may be made.

As to the color of the wing support tube, Viart's 140 Explored does have several pictures of different cars where it is fairly clear that the tube in question is not black.

In particular, page 30 of Viart has a (popular) head-on picture of a light-colored factory OTS. Viart makes a specific observation identifying the support tube to be "the same colour as the body".

It is believed that XK primary body components were all in place when the cars were painted. If Jaguar changed the color of that tube, subsequent to applying body color, documentation of that action has not been found.

I personally don't know of a source that spells out the finish of the accelerator or carburetor linkage. The AUC 1929 (two-bolt) adapters and AUC 2681 flexible couplings are commonly nickel plated. The carb throttle plate shafts are brass. The short solid section linking the carbs is black or cad.

Documented differences of opinion appreciated.

Regards,
Dick Cavicke
JCNA, Chief Judge