At a recent Concours, one of the entrants in the C-3 Class (XK 140 - Champion Division) told me that he had recently received a deduction for not having a tag (of some type) attached to his SU carburetters. Although I show in the Driven Division, I have endeavered to bring my '56 XK 140 up to Original or Champion standards -where possible. Can anyone offer any information about these carburetor "tags"? Are they metal tags or "stick-on" labels ?? Where do they attach?? Were they used on all XK 140 models??

Jerry Ellison

Submitted by toothdok2002@y… on Sat, 10/13/2012 - 02:54

What is the consensus on the presence of carb tags on the xk 140? It is unclear in this thread. I was recently penalized for not having carb tags on my 1956 xk 140 ots standard car. The judges reasoning for their originality was less than convincing. After some research this is what I have found. They are not listed in the Jaguar parts catalog. In the Bernard Viart's book" xk 140 explored" they are not shown on the detailed carb drawings (pg 225), and are not on the car on the factory floor photo (pg40) . They are not included in the carb drawings(plate H) of the jcna published xk 140 34th annual general meeting from 1992.It is my feeling from what I have found that they were not originally on my car. I am showing in south carolina in November and was deciding if I should put them on. Additionally, I am thinking of contesting my recent deductions on these grounds. Any thoughts? Alsonot to stray but what color should the bar in front of the radiator on an xk 140 ots be? Black or body color? Thanks

Submitted by SE98-32482CJ on Wed, 12/21/2011 - 09:07

Greg there is no doubt that your 150"S" had tags. In looking at the assembly drawings for the 150"S" provided by SU to Jaguar (Specification AUC-893) dated 1958 and titled "1958 XK.150'S" 3.4 Litres (3 HD8) with a change sheet (first change 9,12,1957 and last recorded change 29,9,58 (no mention of a tag change). The tags are clearly labeled as part number AUC 1054 "Identity Label" (3 per set). It is significant that the 3 carb set was first referred to as a #865 and by 11,2,58 a#893. In oth cases the 3 tags are there so the tags date to at least 9,12,57. Copies of these blueprints could be made available if enough interest is shown. So Greg the simple answer to you is YES they were there on your 150"S". Drawings of the 2 carb set such as your MKIX do NOT list them. The drawings are also very helpful in that they call out the finish of all parts--for example the "brass" damper tops are in fact brass but were to be cad plated! How many times have you seen that wrong.
A word about your observations on the MK IX. While it may have never been rebuilt or required "Major" work it is with certanity that I say the carbs have been serviced at some point in the last 50 years (if it was driven). That is the point the tags are lost. Your "certainty" that the car did not come with tags is noted but can not be used as proof.

Greg one last item--are you a JCNA member--if so how about update your profile which will allow you to say also if you are not a member--it is nice to sort of know who you are responding to.

Submitted by greg@nofatmusic.com on Wed, 12/21/2011 - 00:45

I am interested in this carb tag issue as well for my 150S.
If it is helpful, I also own a 1961 MK IX that my Dad bought new (in '61). It has never been restored (from its excellent original condition), or required any major engine rebuilding - so I can say with certainty that at least my car did not come with Carb tags from the original importer.
However I've heard they were present on the triple carb set up of the 150S's.
Anyone have any idea? thank you!

greg arnold

Submitted by iwcottrell@yahoo.com on Mon, 01/31/2011 - 10:52

I have the J.31 Mark IX parts book but can not see any tag in either the text or on the diagram on p. 39 (plate 7). Also my SU catalogs show no tags for any of their carburetters. I remember tags on Stromberg carburetters on my 1972 XJ6.

Submitted by coventryclassi… on Thu, 09/23/2010 - 10:22

Jerry,
I spent an hour talking to Joe Curto yesterday. Joe has 40 years experience with British cars & carbs. Joe doesn't think the XK120/ XK140 carbs came with any tags at all. The parts books don't show tags until the MK IX & XK 150. I have an original Publication J.15 Published July, 1955 Spare Parts Catalogue, not listing any tags. If you look at Jags Unlimited Magazine, December 1983, there is an article from Jack Stamp about his original XK 140 DHC. Very clear under bonnet picture showing NO tags on the SUs. The SUs on the early XK 140 was an AUC 772, the 772 referring to the needle size. On the E-type tags, the stamping was in a smaller font and included the F/C/R after the AUC 946. Early Triumphs did carry tags with the larger font than the E-typ tags. Joe also doesn't tyhink there were any F/C/R stampings until the 3.8 cars. I think more research needs to go into this before Concours cars start loosing points.
Tom Curren
1952 XK 120 OTS
1961 E-type OTS #90
1961 E-type FHC#53

Submitted by SE21-35014J on Mon, 09/13/2010 - 15:13

George, I contacted Joe Curto as you suggested, and they have the blank metal tags to attach to the SU-H.6 carburetors for the XK 140 -BUT are not certain what to stamp on them. They have a number for the 1954 140 OTS carburetor but no number for later year models. My car has a "build date" of early-1955 and registered by Jaguar as a 1956 SE model. with a 3.4L -(less C-type head) engine. Do you have any information as to what number or other information should be should be stamped on the carburater tags?? Is it the engine number or body number -in addition to F and R ?? OR should I jut use the number they have listed for the 1954 XK-140 carburator ??

Submitted by SE21-35014J on Mon, 09/13/2010 - 14:24

George,
Thank you for the information.
I'll see you this Fall -after the Concours season, and perhaps at EURO.

Submitted by SE98-32482CJ on Sun, 09/12/2010 - 19:26

Gerald Hi --how are you? The tags are matal and are marked with model numbers and a F or an R for front and rear--(C if the car in question has 3 which the 140 does not. You might be able to get them from Joe Curto. The 2" sandcase carbs (optional equipment) was the same--they attach under the banjo bolt for the fuel bowl.