Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sun, 05/10/2015 - 12:09

Does anyone have specifications for cam shafts? What is the difference between the inlet cam & exhaust cam?
Reason for asking questions is while setting valve clearances I discovered that I have two cams with the same part no. which matches the book no. for exhaust cam. One cam does have the tack drive installed. It is my understanding on the 150 engines with cable driven tach, which I have, is driven off the intake cam. Is this correct?
Story:
The car came out of barn in pieces it was disassembled 20+ years ago. The engine was rebuilt and sealed in plastic. Upon opening the packaging found the head had not been torqued down which was a good thing. Engine was reworked and bored .020 over, all new parts in block. The head had been reworked as well w/ new valve seats and valves, valves were installed in head. Exhaust cam was installed, intake was not. Both cams look to be new, no sign of wear, they could possibly been re-ground, new bearings. One scenario could be; whoever was doing the engine work ordered new cams and at time of assembling the head discovered they didn't have an intake cam and that is where the project stopped. Is there any chance the engine could have been assembled and run with two exhaust cams??? This is a one owner car with 17,000+ showing on the odometer. Could be the second time around don't know. The car is in very nice shape in my opinion shouldn't have been taken apart. It is my understanding when the son inherited the car he wanted the automatic transmission replaced w/a manual and that is why the car was disassembled. The rest of the history is very vague.